Quest, Instance and Class notes

AoE nurfed hardcore.

As of 2.0.3, Mage aoe got a giant nerf.

Now there is a hard cap on each of our aoe spells for maximum damage output based on spell rank.

I.E. Cone of Cold (max rank) has a hard cap of 5130 damage before crit is calculated.

This means that if you use CoC on 10 targets, you have a max of about 500 non crit damage to each target. 20 targets drops that to 250 non-crit, etc.

Talents that increase damage or gear that increases damage has no affect on the cap, so in the case of Cone of Cold, specing Improved CoC only makes you reach the cap on fewer targets.

While this has little to no impact on most pvp situations (honestly, you don't get to land a CoC on more than 5 players very often), it does have large ramifications for PvE.

Since all mage aoe spells (right now it looks like other classes are unaffected), have been nurfed to only do effective damage to less than 10 targets (and even less if you are decked out or speced for it), then all the current aoe fights are pretty much broken for mages.

Examples are:

Stratholme rat traps (several mages on the forums have complained about dieing in there now do to ineffective AE)
Nefarion phase 3
AQ20 bug packs
AQ40 fankriss
Nax Anub'rekhan
Etc.

As of yet it is unknown whether or not there will be similar sytle encounters in the outlands.

If there are, then mages are severely limited in their aoe usefulness, and if there aren't then it's back to the drawing board trying to figure out mage's role in a group.

Either way, I'm somewhat unsure what the hell Blizzard wants us to do.
I'd also like to add that I personally believe players like Faxmonkey were the main source of this nerf.

Just a shame that most people don't understand the fact that what he does takes amazing skill and luck and doesnt nessesarily represent what the class as a whole can do.
I KNEW SOMETHING WAS DIFFERENT!

I was soloing BRD again the other night, and getting wtfpwned by the dwarves around the ring of law (the ones that come in packs of 12-15). The aoe numbers didn't quite look right, and I thought I was just tired... but that's why...

This now makes it impossible to pull all the dog packs at once in the DM north and aoe them whilst kiting. I mean... no one was really meant to be able to do that to begin with... :shock: ...but that was fun to do when I was bored!

Ya know... this sucks out the very core of what a mage is -- or at least what I made Furi out to be. Mass aoer, master of crowds. It's amazing what we can do against an army (or could...).

This is a huge restriction.

I like my hunter.
... mages whining is funnier than most classes whining... qq
/wholeheartedagree :D
I don't know, the warriors whined so hard warlocks and feral druids got nerfed!
Yeah, because most mages don't know when the FUCK to whine, and give people who actually know the fucking class zero credibility.

AOE is our fucking trademark. Stuff like this is like grinding shit into our faces while saying "you're a watercooler! you're a watercooler!"
pst! hey Furri......
Hey oren, can I throw you in the UD strat roach trap?
I initially thought the AoE nerf had to do with the number of targets that you could hit at one time, not the overall damage.

This is definitely worse. :x
/sigh

With the new Xpac, a whole slew of nerfs are heading our way im sure...

hopefully we get a new molten armor icon
el oh el
Blizz will never live that down.
sorry to hear this , i truely think this is a huge nerf for u guys. /agree

either way they prolly want things done differently rather than relying on one class to trivialize an encounter. for example, phase 3 nef will most likely require all hunters to lay aoe traps, priests to holy nova, druids to hurricane, locks to reign of fire, warriors to ...um whirlwind lawl. you get the point. either way it sucks but i think the nerf is prolly more so to do with mages levling faster in the xpac more so than making certain encounters harder for the group making mages less useful. but i think if you realize sin never really singled out class makeup as much as other guilds you soon realize that its the person playing the player thats important, not what their toon/skill level can do for the group. I think mages will be a great source of cc and burst dps in the xpac, alot of fights will require that sort of talent to be successful. either way, we will need mages in xpac, whether you like it or not your still a viable class. imo.
personally, i think it was the naxx invasion where mages could practically solo the camps in one try
Remember all those posts about mage aoe grind spots for leveling and cash? That's likely part of this -- they want to eliminate it.

I never used aoe to grind when I was levelling Furi. In fact I was horrible at aoe when I was levelling Furi. ...but these days I use it A LOT for farming and such... so eh... need to revamp those plans now. Makes me a sad troll.
Chat
You must be logged in to chat.
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em